Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What's in a New Yawk Accent ?

Just got off the phone with a woman in Bayside (Queens) and almost cried. I cradled my phone like a baby and teared up. She sounded just like Mom, my mother in law!! For an instant, I could remember what bagels and pizza taste like. Gino's dressing...sigh...that dressing is everything. Slowly reality crept back in and I realized that drool coming out of my mouth the smell and taste of pizza were not real. Double Sigh Sigh.

It is amazing what the sound of a stranger's voice can do to a person. It transported me back and I was loving it. Then I remembered pizza and bagels are a carb festival  make up the best food group on Earth!!  Send me foooood, I am wasting away to a size double 00...seriously, the food here is amazing and I am not wasting away. But please send me one bagel, a slice of pie, temp tee cream cheese, dr. browns black cherry, ginos dressing, corned beef, pastrami, jewish rye, pad thai, cannolli, cassada (not a clue how it is spelled) cake, cheesecake, 7-11 coffee (toffee flavor), hot dogs with slaw and potato salad from that deli in great neck oh and their knish, burger & caramel apple shake from cheeburger cheeburger in pt washington,  salad and blueberry waffles from quantum leap in fresh meadows, everything on jewish main street & chinese main street especially Pita Hot, Queens Pita, bubble tea and soup....

Don't send me any of that (subliminal message: send it send it send it!!!) I really don't need it.

Emily

1 comments:

Charlie Cornetta said...

LOL,,well I have to tell ya Emily , I can relate and guess what? I still live here, From Quantum Leap to Jewish Main St. and beyond . I hav'nt been to many of these places or had many of the products you mentioned for some time and they're within walking distance....It's not so much the particulars that I write about but the notion that we take things for granted when they are so readily accessable...Makes me pause and think "what am I so busy doing"....But the real reason and you touched on it early on , is the people that we take for granted. Who are the people that are important to me and when was the last time I picked up the phone or did a drive by...Then I was brought back to those no longer with us and tried to remember when was the last time and what transpired ... Hence the old saying "you dont appreciate it until its gone " is alive and well. So thank you for the moment of pause and the exercise in appreciation, and the next time I'm in Quantum , I'll be sure to grab a batch of Blueberry Waffles and have them Fedexed....

Post a Comment